8/21/18

Idea: Don't Save in the Field

Whenever you resume your game in Grand Theft Auto 5, you tend to end up "resuming" where your character was.  For one of those characters, he might wake up in a dress or stalk a guy on a scooter.  And in a similar sense, why would expect nothing to happen when you save right in front of the boss?

I should take the on-load snippet from Repl F (haunted house) so I can turn on a new switch when the player loads a game, though I'll have to see if this is best done on the current map or on a blank map.  I should also put a modifier notetag so that each map has a different chance of stuff happening.  For example:

-5% on field, captured by bandits
-20% in cave, captured by spider.
-100% in the boss's room, rather obvious.
-0% in a safe room, making this a save room.

Oh, and probably need some other switches to modify the chance like if the town's on high alert or the castle is void of guards.  I'm not sure how enjoyable this kind of gameplay will be, though.

2 comments:

  1. Well personally I can't speak for others, but I quite like the idea of the chance that you will load a save and something will have happened. Would help give the feeling that the world is actually alive and doesn't revolve entirely around the player.

    I think there's things you'd have to do to stop people from getting upset by it. Namely adding more safe rooms and giving a warning if you're in an area where something could happen on loading. Having an instant quit to title button would be important too, so that if you do get caught in a load event and you really can't be bothered with it you could just go back to the menu and re-load the save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to F12 but usually I put the Load command in the menu. There was a game that did have hidden safe rooms near the boss so that could help too.

      Hm, I could also experiment with a "Save Orb" that can negate a load attempt but may require some pricey recharging before it can be used again. Also, I could try to have a region tag negate load attempts so that not all safe rooms have to be separate rooms.

      Delete