3/18/18

A Gaze into MV

If you hadn't been aware, this weekend had been a free test of RPG Maker MV on Steam (with a discount bring it down to $20 dollars).  That is, this version of MV isn't the limited features trial but the one with full features (until it expired).  Oh, and same kind of trial for Visual Novel Maker (though it's 10% discount).

First, do not consider this a review.
 
Edit:  Also, this is embarrassing, but I didn't realize Paypal required verification on payments.  Since I didn't check Paypal or the associated email frequently, I only realized this fact months after the last one.  Now I should receive notification if this happens again.  If any of you attempted to donate to me in the past, it's up to you if you want to try again.

So while there were a few features to play around with, the main concern I had for MV was the ability to write scripts.  In RPG Maker VX Ace, the scripts could be edited in the game and were written in Ruby.  In MV, you could load the plugin in the editor but you couldn't edit it from there, so you had to go to the game folder and open up the JS file in a different program.  I was fortunate that I had Dreamweaver to open mine.

Okay, so I decided to try and code a bit of my "jump-move" script in MV.  If you played my games, you're forced to press the button to jump and move around.  Fortunately, it seems that some of the code in MV has a similar structure to Ace, though they are written in different ways.  For example, most special variables and methods for the object are written with this., there is no end or "and" that isn't &&, and return might only work near the end.  Fortunately, I was able to make my character jump around without hopping into the water or through events, plus I discovered the ability to also have the mouse make you hop.

So at least I know that getting MV won't kill my code.  I do not know if I will get MV, though I do know that I'm not likely to stop using Ace if I get MV and MV has some plugins that can't be done in Ace.  Due to its discount, I probably will grab it anyway.

---

I had a shorter time with Visual Novel Maker so I don't know how much I can customize it.  I do know that it is still expensive so I won't get it heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment