10/15/17

Sinking Time Into Something

Some of you might be familiar with Trivel's Quicksand Script if you played Kei-Waza's Esthe Hunter or Coilfreak's Deadly Safari.  If you haven't every found this script yet, it makes the player sink into the map.  Trivel has also created a MV Plug-in version.

I was going to put this script inside The Fates We Weave (because all the fetishes), but it wasn't compatible with the move script I used.  I decided to take another look at it today.




So first of all, the Quicksand script shows sinking by moving the sprite down and subtracting its rect area by a "sunk" variable.  This does not work well with hopping as a sprite's rect area is initially used for splitting 8 characters on a sheet.  Thankfully, I can add the character's jump_height and record the rect area (to prevent an extra head from showing up) so that my character can jump through quicksand, especially since my Move Script uses jumping in the Cocooned State (see the Parangsakti Fan Game).

Next, I decided to alter the Quicksand script so that it'll work with all characters, because by default, this only makes the player sink.  No longer will followers or other events stay on top of the quicksand (except with a notetag), plus I put in a max sink limit for them so that players won't be confused why a sunken but hidden enemy is blocking their path.  I don't have use for vehicles yet, but I'm working on that too

With the Quicksand Script now compatible and altered, I'm certain my shenanigans have increased.

No comments:

Post a Comment