2/19/21

Simple? I Wish.

I have so many ideas, but I think, in order to realize these ideas, I should start simple.

First, I should experiment using only the Base settings.  In MV, there are only four items and four armors, and I should only work with these things.  This is because I'm likely to test the game without leveling the party at this point, so making future equipment should not be a big concern.  Also, part of the first test batch would be to adjust the base items if needed, so at a later date, I can copy and upgrade from these base "templates".*

Second, I should experiment with little to no Plugins.  I say little as I would pre-load some Plugins if I plan to build my game around some mechanics, but those mechanics are around battle strategies and not equipment.  In MMOs, most players would start with small amounts of common equipment and are not expected to wear special properties until after the introduction stage, so no Plugins would be in effect at that point.  

To put it this way, I want to plan out the first game, but I should actually be planning the first dungeon then the first half of the game.  I need to ask myself:  What would I start with and what would I have or need to do when I reach the first boss?  If I am able to complete the first dungeon, I expect the second dungeon to act like the first, so I can then copy the first dungeon over to the second.  Like the Legend of Zelda, my first dungeon introduces the layout of going through the place with a sword and shield, grabbing a new tool halfway, so future dungeons can be like this.  It's only after the "midpoint" of the actual game where more advanced mechanics like time travel and upgrades should be present, so it's only after I workout the starting details that I can then add in the actual details.

*I did see a Plugin that should re-organize items by tagged priority, which should be useful if you are planning to upgrade items by series but want to sort them in the game by type.

No comments:

Post a Comment